Pages

Feb 9, 2011

Creamed Eggs On Toast

Now don't turn away disgusted. Every time I tell people about this, they give the "stink-eye-grimace" and look like they want to puke. This has been my favorite breakfast food since I was a kid. Granted this wasn't actually for breakfast though. :)

Every Wednesday night we have breakfast for dinner, and tonight was my night to decide what to eat. It was either cereal or this.

So try out the creamiest delight that always seems to brighten my day! :)



Depending on how many people your feeding, depends on how many eggs you use. Now my husband and I are notorious for making too much. I blame it on the fact that my brother-in-law lived with us for the first year + of our marriage and cooking for him was like cooking for 4 people. He hasn't lived with us for almost a year and we still can't quite figure out how to cook for two but we are getting better. (That and I grew up with a father that always cook like he was feeding an army... and he learned that from his mother... So maybe it's hereditary?)

We use 8 hard boiled eggs.
Put the eggs in the water before you turn the heat on. Once it starts to really get boiling set the timer for 10 minutes.
(I always have to ask how long to boil eggs so I hope that helps those who are like me and always forget.)

After eggs have boiled run cold water in the pot to cool the eggs, then shell and slice. We use the Pampered Chef Egg Slicer and slice them twice for half the eggs and once for the other half.

White Sauce:
THIN (1CUP)
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk

MEDIUM (1 CUP)
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk

THICK (1 CUP)
3 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour, salt and dash white pepper (we use regular). Add milk all at once. Cook quickly, stirring CONSTANTLY, till mixture thickens and bubbles. Add eggs.



We usually do the medium and double it since we use so many eggs. But we decided this time, that NEXT time, we're going to try and not make so much.

The other trick to this recipe is having two people make it together so that one does the white sauce and the other works on cutting the eggs and toasting bread, but when you don't have that second person to help out... make sure that the eggs are sliced/cut BEFORE you start the white sauce.

ENJOY!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be honest, I was grossed out by the title and first image. But after reading and learning the eggs are cooked all the way...and it involves white sauce, I'm sold. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hailey... It does look a little disgusting but really, you should try it and tell me what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up on a farm and Mom always prepared this as an evening meal. Mom called it "the farmers supper." I continued the tradition and raised my 3 sons with this recipe on our weekly menu. To this day it's one of their favorite comfort meals. For me it was always a quick, delicious and simple meal.

    ReplyDelete