Pages

Feb 13, 2011

Grilled Fish Steaks

Almost every Sunday we go over to my parents house for dinner and this time, my mom requested Halibut.  She's never made it before and asked my husband if he would make some because she loved his Salmon.  We've never made Halibut before so this is a true first for us and it was fun to make and REALLY fun to photograph.  My parents house has more natural lighting and since we made dinner before 6 p.m. there was actual light to work with.


The recipe that we pulled off the internet was for 2 servings but since we were actually cooking for 5 this time we altered the servings.  The recipe came from allrecipes.com so you can see the original servings and alter them to match how many you are cooking for.

Serves 6

Ingredients:

3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup and 2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp ground black pepper
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
6 (6 ounce) fillets halibut




 Directions:


1) In a stainless steel or glass bowl, combine garlic, olive oil, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and parsley.


2) Place the halibut filets in a shallow glass dish or a resealable plastic bag, and pour the marinade over the fish, Cover or seal and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour turning occasionally.


3)Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate.  Set grate 4 inches from the heat.

4) Remove halibut filets from marinade and drain off the excess.  Grill filets 5 minutes per side or until fish is done, when easily flaked with a fork.


Side Dishes:
We decided to use Brussel Sprouts and Chicken Flavored rice.


With Brussel Sprouts, there are a few tricks to getting them to taste just right.  The smaller the sprout the better they will taste.  Also you need to core the sprout like you would with cabbage or lettuce.  Then steam them until tender.


Normally, or at least when I was a kid, we would flavor the rice using chicken bullion.  But my mom has developed an allergy to yeast, so she now uses Kitchen Basics Chicken Stock.  With that you use 1/2 and 1/2 and cook rice normally.


I absolutely love the colors of the Halibut on this plate with the table in the back ground!!!!  Sorry, that's that photographer coming out in me.  The Halibut was fall apart melt in your mouth delicious.  I've never had Halibut before and this was just perfect.  My husband really out did himself! ;)


Now, please allow me to show a little artistic flare as I include the rest of the images from our cooking adventure.
I put my camera on the counter while we started to
straighten up and when I looked through the
view finder I thought this was pretty.

A little depth of field practice.



This post is linked to
I Heart Nap Time
Fun To Craft

No comments:

Post a Comment