Pages

Jul 16, 2011

Home-Made Waffles

Home-made waffles were something that I used to look forward to as a kid on Saturday morning. We didn't have them every Sunday, but when we did, boy was it a treat.

My Dad would get up early, well early meaning before us kids woke up, and start working on them. We would wake up to the whir of the mixer or to the smell of cooking waffles. Then he would wake us up just in time to get fresh waffles off the maker. 

The other memory that I have of home-made waffles is how my mother ate them. Now when I was a kid, the waffle maker that we had was a large square one with shallow holes. It was the kind that you could detach the waffle iron and flip it over to make it a griddle. But my siblings and I would eat the waffles with peanut butter and syrup, but mom, she would eat them with butter and syrup. The best part of the memory though, is how she made sure that every single little square had syrup in it. She would take her time and with a slow stream of syrup coming out of the bottle, make her way around her waffle. When she missed a square we would all shout out "Mom you missed one" and she would smile and make her way back to that one hole to fill it in. 

It doesn't matter what type of waffle I eat, shallow holed, deep holed, square or round. Those are the two memories that pop into my head and I can't help but smile.

So I hope you enjoy this recipe and make some memories of your own!

Ingredients: (and servings)


1/2 Recipe 
(makes about 4* waffles)
1 egg white, meringue
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 Recipe 
(makes about 7* waffles)
2 egg whites, meringue
2 cups flour
2 cups milk (depending on the flour)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup oil
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 Recipe 
(makes about 11* waffles)
3 egg whites, meringue
3 cups flour
3 cups milk
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup oil
6 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

(*I think that's according to the old waffle iron size, either way, you're bound to have left overs. Just pop them in freezer for breakfast another day.)

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.


Add milk and oil until well-blended.



Fold in egg white meringue.



Pour into hot waffle iron,
(Don't forget to spray the waffle iron every other waffle in order to avoid sticking.)
(^ That also depends on the type of waffle iron you use.)



Our waffle iron isn't exactly my favorite...


Because our waffles come out looking like this...


But they were cooked all the way through and still tasted great. 
My new favorite kind of waffle maker is the Belgium Waffle makers.

We also had eggs with our waffles and out of the yolk came this cook fishy....


My other favorite memory is of the way my dad would eat his waffles. He is allergic to peanuts and therefore can't have the peanut butter... but more often then not, each 1/4 of his waffle had a different jam on it, or he would place his fried egg on the waffle with the yolk runny. To this day, eating waffles just isn't the same with out fried eggs!

Share with us you're favorite waffle recipes and memories!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment