Pages

Aug 18, 2011

Grilled Chicken with Avocado Relish

This recipe came from a Costco CookBook that we got a year or more ago. I didn't look at it then but it was free. Well, the other night I needed something new to look to for recipes. So I thought to myself "Let's look through the Costco cookbook and just see if there is anything in there worth trying." Well, I got through the first few pages and that was it. Now they were amazing first few pages. They were full of ideas of how to freeze or store anything that you can get in bulk at Costco. Then we had some where to be so I had to put the book away. 
The next day at breakfast (or some other meal (; ) Marvin and I (that would be my husbands name by the way) sat there flipping through the cook book and looking at the pictures saw some great new options to try. And of course, this was one of them. 
I love avocado's and now this is the #3 way Marvin likes to eat them. :)
Oh, and this is a PERFECT feast for a hot summer afternoon!!!

Ingredients:
4 Chicken Breast
3 tablespoons EVOO
1 medium Red Onion
3 large Avocados
1 medium Tomato 
Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/2 cup fresh Cilantro roughly chopped*
1 Jalapeno, finely chopped*
Juice of 1 Lime (not pictured)
*Not used


Directions:
Defrost your chicken
(The pictures shows chicken tenders but I WOULD NOT recommend tenders. Especially if you want to cut out the tendons or anything else off of them. Chicken breast is WAY better and in my book, it's better to have left overs then not enough. Which is exactly what happened)

The cookbook says to make the relish while the chicken is grilling, but I would rather make it before while the chicken is defrosting so you can put it in the fridge to chill a bit or let the juices all soak together.

Cut up the avocado into chunks
(I think that they should be a bit more firm then what we got. We got them squishy-ish which is perfect for guacamole. But I would get them a tad more firm so that they don't get smooshy  all over everything else and maintain their shape.)



Cut up your tomato
(The little one is from our garden. Unfortunately, none of them were big enough to actually use.)



Cut up your onion.
(It's a rather weird sensation when you're eyes randomly start to water. The recipe does call for the whole onion, but we only did less then 1/4 and it was still too much for us. So, onion to TASTE.)



Add 1 tablespoon of EVOO and the juice of 1 lime
(Now I didn't have a lime so I just squirted in regular lime juice and guessed. And what I guessed was perfect tasting.)

Season more with Salt and Pepper to taste

Gently fold in Cilantro (if you used it)

For Your Chicken:

Cut out any tendons or extra skin if desired

Put 2 tablespoons EVOO in small bowl


Brush each chicken breast with the EVOO and season generously with salt and pepper


Add to grill
(We have a George Foreman Grill so Marvin put the chicken on there and let them cook)

Remove from grill, make dishes pretty and presentable ;), and serve!!!
It's supposed to make 4 servings but we altered it for us.


I'm sad because we didn't have any left overs. This is the first meal, I think ever, that we haven't had some sort of left over for. Marvin enjoyed the relish so much that he ate what was left over. (Also because I didn't make enough chicken.)
We are so excited about this recipe that we can hardly wait to make it for my parents. 


We hope you like it as much as we did!!!


This post is linked to Chef 'n Training

2 comments:

  1. Oh this looks so good! I'm always on the lookout for new recipes to try! Thanks so much for sharing at Show & Share!

    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This looks delicious! I would love it if you would share this and/or any other projects you have been up to at Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training! Thanks so much and I hope to see you there!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete