Pages

Dec 11, 2011

Spiritual Feasting #7


This week almost slipped away from me again. I thought a lot about what I wanted to share with you this week and I had even found what I wanted to share but time got away from me and I completely forgot about it until I was scheduling some other posts this evening.
I got a few books on Black Friday and one in particular had something in it that I wanted to share. It really made me think. 
I’m reading “Have a Little Faith” by Mitch Albom. I LOVE his books. They are always so insightful and always make me think. In it he quotes a sermon from a Rabbi in 1975...
“A man seeks employment on a farm. He hands his letter of recommendation to his new employer. It reads simply, ‘He sleeps in a storm.’
The owner is desperate for help, so he hires the man.
Several weeks pass, and suddenly, in the middle of the night, a powerful storm rips through the valley.
Awakened by the swirling rain and howling wind, the owner leaps out of bed. He calls for his new hired hand, but the man is sleeping soundly.
So he dashes off to the barn. He sees, to his amazement, that the animals are secure with plenty of feed.
He runs out to the field. He sees the bales of wheat have been bound and are wrapped in tarpaulins.
He races to the silo. The doors are latched, and the grain is dry.
And then he understands. ‘He sleeps in a storm.’
My friends, if we tend to the things that are important in life, if we are right with those we love and behave in line with our faith, our lives will not be cursed with the aching throb of unfulfilled business. Our words will always be sincere, our embraces will be tight. We will never wallow in the agony of ‘I could have, I should have.’ We can sleep in a storm.
And when it’s time, our good-byes will be complete.”
As I read this I had to stop and think for a second. This really is a great piece of advice that I think we all need to stop and think about especially this time of the year. 
Christmas gets to be a really busy time of the year. With all the shopping and parties and gift wrapping and goodies to bake, we forget about what this season is all about.
We need to strive to be more like the man that ‘sleeps in the storm.’
I bet you’re trying to figure out what I mean by that... Well, sometimes, we have to say no to the things that aren’t exactly good or important priorities and focus on what are the important priorities. Like, spending time with family and being in the here and now instead of constantly worrying about our ‘to-do lists.’ 
This year, I decided that I wanted to have all my presents bought/crafted before the beginning of December because I wanted to be able to enjoy the Christmas Season with out the stresses of being behind on the never ending ‘to-do list’. Well, I didn’t exactly get that goal completed, but I did finish crafting my last present tonight and all we have to do is purchase two more and wrap them all. I think that is pretty good considering it’s December 11. That means that I have 13 days, minus the the few to wrap all the presents this week, where I can sit and enjoy the Christmas lights and relax with my husband and remember the real reason for the season.
But this thought isn’t just for the Holiday Season, its for all year round. We don’t have any kids yet, but I already feel stressed and overwhelmed with house work and finding time to fit everything in during the day along with my full time job. The two biggest stressed are the dishes and the laundry. I’m not sure I want to even think about how much more of a stress those things are going to get when our family does grow, but since reading that quote, those are the two things that I have worked on the most. We both had doing them. When you walk into our trailer the first thing you see is the kitchen and the last thing you see when you go to bed is the laundry on the bed or the floor. So I made it a goal to do the dishes every night before we go to bed, regardless of how many there are, and to fold/put away the laundry the day it is washed. I’m proud to say that I completed my goal for the week and it feels amazing. I really have been less stressed and I feel like in a little way, I could ‘sleep in storm’. I got my chores done and I had more time to play and it was more enjoyable with out the dread of having to do it later. :)
I have a long way to go in being more like the man that ‘sleeps in the storm’, with all my work completed and properly, but I’m enjoying the results of what I have learned thus far.
There is one more quote that I wanted to share from the book and it’s a pretty self explanatory quote. Another one to make you think...
“So have we solved the secret of happiness?
‘I believe so’, he said.
Are you going to tell me?
‘Yes, Ready?’
Ready.
‘Be satisfied.’
That’s it?
‘For what you have. For the love you receive. And for what God has given you.’
That’s it?
He looked me in the eye. Then he sighed deeply.
‘That’s it.’”
May we always remember what the secret is to happiness every day are lives and enjoy every moment!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment