Pages

Jan 1, 2012

Spiritual Feasting #9

I know what I want to write about today but I'm having a hard time putting all the words together.

This past weekend has been a roller coasted ride of emotions and ending with a bittersweet end. My father-in-law Clyde passed away on Friday night. He has had ALS for the last 5 years. It started with the loss of the use of his arms. Then he had a stroke which left him as a quadriplegic. After the stroke he bounced back rather well but has a hard time talking and coughing. As the ALS progressed it took over his lungs and breathing and he passed Friday night. He was a prisoner in his own body. Now, he is free. It's a bitter sweet end because we all miss him dearly here on Earth, but it brings me great joy to know that he is up in Heaven and he is free from the body that failed his strong spirit. 

With this whole weekend, I my testimony has grown immensely. The knowledge that I have of the Plan of Salvation and Priesthood blessing has been a great comfort. 

Thursday night he was rushed to the ER. His CO2 levels were at 80%. Friday morning they were back down to 40% and Marvin was able to spend some one on one time with him. Marvin told me that evening that Clyde was doing pretty well. He was talking as he has for the last year and he seemed really well. Then we received a call from his mom around 8pm on Friday night saying that he wasn't doing to well and she asked if he could come and give him a blessing. Marvin called my dad and he and my mom showed up to give comfort and assist in the Priesthood blessing.

Marvin gave a great blessing, however, it was one of those blessings that has a double meaning. In the blessing he blessing his dad to have the strength to make it through this tough time so that he could be able to return home. As he said the words "return home" I had this strong feeling that it wasn't going to be returning to his physical home. Marvin was comforted by the words of the blessing also thinking that he would be home soon and that this would all just blow over. After the blessing, we stayed and chatted for a while. My dad teased with Clyde about the bi-pap that they had him on since my own father sleeps with the assistance of a C-pap machine. Clyde was smiling and laughing along with us as we shared stories and experiences. He was happy! He seemed great. We left the hospital around 10pm saying good and telling Clyde that we would be back in the morning.

At 11:10, we got another phone call. It was Marvin's mom. He had just passed away... Just an hour earlier he was smiling and laughing and seemed like he would be home the next day. Come to find out that after we left when they did his vitals his heart rate was up and all his levels were up. His chest didn't sound good so they started doing some xrays. His left lung had filled up with fluid and he could no longer breath. The ALS had finally won the 5 year battle and he was gone. We rushed back to the hospital to comfort his mom and sister who were there when he passed. It's a haunting image that I have stuck in my head of my loving and happy father-in-law, that I had just seen an hour before, passed away in his hospital bed. I called my dad as soon as we found out and he too rushed back to the hospital to be there with us and proved Marvin's mom and sister a Priesthood Blessing to comfort them in their time of need. We were there for an hour. We didn't want to leave. It didn't and couldn't have been real. But as we left, I still felt peace knowing that he was free. He was up in Heaven with his other family members hugging and walking around. I imaging that my grandmother that passed away 6 years ago was there to great him also saying "Hi, my name is Jeannette and I'm Megan's grandmother. It is nice to finally meet you."

We drove his mother and sister home that night. They live about an hour away from us and spent the evening with his mom and younger siblings and didn't get home until 5am Saturday morning. Marvin was up with in a few hours because there were phone calls to make. Two of Marvin's brothers are serving mission. Joseph is in Tennessee and William is in Guatemala. He was able to get a hold of Joseph's mission president with no problem and he called Joseph so have him meet with him that afternoon. For William however it took us 4 hours to find a number to reach his mission president. Let me tell you that international calling can get really frustrating. But we finally got in touch with him and he was going to meet with William either last night or this morning. Joseph called us just after 12 and Marvin couldn't speak. We sat there with Joseph on speaking phone and I told him the whole story. I had a hard time getting through it but I'm glad that I was able to. Neither of them could really speak. But I'm so grateful that we were able to speak with him. {Joseph lived with us our first year of marriage and up until 6 months before he left on his mission.} I want to hug both of those boys. I pray that William is okay...

Today in church was fast and testimony meeting. All morning my heart was racing and I knew what I wanted to say. But I couldn't get it. I did everything that I could to distract myself. I couldn't out of respect to Marvin. He feels that being emotional is showing weakness and I couldn't get up and do that to him in public because I would loose it and so would Marvin. Well, I didn't have to bare my testimony to loose it. The closing song today was Abide With Me Tis Eventide. Dang those hymns!! You remember that I lead the congregation right? Well, I tried and tired so hard not to loose it. I had to mouth the words and pray that no one could see the tears welling up in my eyes. I looked over at Marvin for a brief minute to see how he was and his face was bright red and he had stopped singing. As soon as the song was over I quickly left the stand and lost in my arms of my husband. He admitted too that he had to stop singing. 

I wanted to bear my testimony today to share that I have a strong testimony of the plan of salvation and of priesthood blessings. With out them this time would be so much harder. I know that we can return to be with our Heavenly Father again. I know that we'll be able to see Clyde again. I can hardly wait for the day that I can give him a hug and receive a hug in return. When I met Clyde he had already lost the use of his arms. Once he become a quadriplegic I gave him a kiss on his forehead at every change I got, but that hug.... Lets just say it will be a great time!!!! I had a strong testimony of priesthood blessings before this weekend but it confirmed again the realness of the power of the priesthood and the comfort it can bring to those in need. Clyde had the strength to make it through the last hour of his life here on Earth and return home. 

Please if my may ask... prayer for us to get through this tough time and to strong. 

God be with you, Clyde, until we meet again!

P.S. Sorry for any errors that there may be, but I've cried my way through this post and I don't exactly want to re-read it right now. 

Happy New Year!!!

1 comment:

  1. Mine and Andrew's prayers are with you and your family! Honestly let us know if you need anything, we are very greatful for your's and Marvins friendships.

    ReplyDelete