Pages

Jan 16, 2013

{wednesday weekly meal} 'Forgotten Chicken'

I feel like a genius when it comes to this recipe. :)
I found it online and was super excited to try it for a Sunday dinner. 
The reason that it's called 'Forgotten Chicken' is because you simply put it all together, throw it in the oven and 'forget' about it for a few hours and enjoy!
Now, we have a gas oven and I really didn't want leave my oven on for a long time let alone unattended while we were at church. 
Soooo....
I took this simple oven recipe and made it even easier and made it a slow cooker dinner. 
I was so excited when we got home from church and dinner was ready and smelled good and I felt so proud of myself that I took a chance and came out with something successful and delicious.
Enjoy!!!
(I'm posting this as an oven dish and I'll explain the slow cooking dish at the end.)

Ingredients
Boneless skinless chicken breast
2 cups Minute Rice (uncooked)
1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can Cream of Celery Soup
1 can of Water



Directions
Mix together "cream of" soups, water and the uncooked minute rice
Pour into a buttered casserole dish
Lay chicken breast on top of rice mixture and sprinkle onion soup mix on top
Cover with tin foil
Cook at 250*-275* for about 3 hours
or 
Cook at 350*-375* for about 1 1/2 hours
The outsides of the rice will be brown and crispy but the inside and the chicken will be perfect!!

NOW for the Slow Cooker Portion...

Clean the chicken (I like to get the extra fat off)

Place the "cream of" soups and rice in the bottom of the crock pot and mix together



Place the chicken on top of the mixture


Sprinkle the Lipton Onion Soup Mix on top


Set the timer for about 4 hours


Serve with your favorite veggies


This was spectacular! I loved how easy it was and how cool my house still felt after it was made!!
I hope you love this as much as we did!!!!!





6 comments:

  1. Do I cook this on high for 4 hours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On high, sorry I didn't put that in there.

      Delete
  2. Would love to try this! Do you cook on High in the crock pot or low temperature?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On high, I'm sorry I didn't add that. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  3. I make this all the time with just a couple of changes. I use chicken tenders and I add 1 cup of water to the slow cooker version as well. I also sprinkle paprika on the top. Thank you Megan. It is delicious.

    ReplyDelete