Pages

Nov 16, 2015

{Family Home Evening} Nephi Part 1 - Getting The Brass Plates

During this past General Conference I felt like every talk was telling me that now is the time for us to really start focusing on Family Home Evening (FHE). I really took this to heart because a year ago during General Conference I felt like every talk was telling me it was time start reading the Book of Mormon with Little Man. I listened and we have been richly blessed over the last year for following that prompting. So I'm here to tell you, that you should never postpone a prompting!!!

We have been doing Family Home Evening for four weeks now. For those of you who aren't familiar with the term Family Home Evening or the acronym FHE... It's simply a night devoted to family time!!! You can do just about anything that you want to do from having a gospel/religious lesson or discussion to playing games or watching a movie with your family. But it's time spent away from the things that pull families apart!

I'll be sharing the FHE activities and what we did with you guys and where I found my resources. I hope these help you to prepare for your family time as the resources I'll be sharing with you have helped me!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I am not going to lie! I had NO IDEA where to start with our first FHE. The only thing I could think of, as I was scrolling through Pinterest, was to start at the beginning. And the beginning that came to mind was Nephi. So I search Pinterest for ideas on how to teach about Nephi and decided to follow the song Nephi's Courage and start by learning about how he went to get the brass plates from Laban.

**I downloaded this Scripture Hero Chartthis Nephi Coloring page and clip art figures (from Mormon Mommy Printables).** 



We sang the first verse of Nephi's Courage for our opening song.

We talked about Nephi using the Scripture Hero Chart and how he had to have courage to accomplish the tasks that he was commanded/asked to do. We also explained what it means to have courage.

Then I read the story of Nephi getting the brass plates (1 Nephi 3 & 4) and The Hubs used the clip art figures to help illustrate the story as I read it. Little Man loved playing with them! (For a 3 year old, reading both chapters was waaaaaay to long. I'm still learning to approach these topics on a toddler level!)

Then we colored the Nephi Coloring page and that was pretty much the end of our lesson.

Simple and sweet!

The spirit in our home that evening was amazing! It was encouraging and I was excited for the next week!! Nephi building a boat!



Resource for most of the lesson: This LDS Mom Nephi Blog Post

No comments:

Post a Comment